At St Stephen Churchtown Academy, our vision in science is to ignite curiosity and encourage creative thinking while providing safe opportunities for risk taking in a supportive environment.
We aim to:
The Ogden Trust - Physics ideas for primary science
Explorify - Engaging activities to promote and encourage discussion and vocabulary building.
Whizz Pop Bang - Science magazine (there is a cost) for primary aged students
Institute of Physics - physics related activities for students.
The Pod - Information, activities, movies and games to help promote the learning of science concepts
Discovering 42 - Cornwall's Art, Sustainability and Science Museum
Curriculum Overview 2023-2024.pdf
Progression Overview - Conceptual Understanding.pdf
Progression Overview - Working Scientifically.pdf
At St Stephen Churchtown Academy, the provision on offer for our SEN students in science reflects the intent of the subject itself. Our students, regardless of need, are encouraged to develop an excitement and curiosity about the world around them, to ask questions and be curious about the phenomena they observe and to correlate their own life experiences to the curriculum content.
Specific provisions for SEN children include:
- A safe space which encourages open discussion on the concepts being taught and provides the environment needed to take risks for new learning.
- The use of floor books within our lessons to evidence learning and encourage participation from all students. In this way, children who may not flourish in some areas of the curriculum feel secure enough to vocalise their learning during the practical aspects of the lessons, demonstrating good understanding in a way they would otherwise not be able to.
- Adult support when and as needed.
- Work can be differentiated based on the needs of the student, scaffolded in a way that makes it accessible to their individual learning need.
- Up to date working walls that the children can access easily. E.g. removable vocabulary cards.
- Adapted tools and equipment.